Fuck Yeah, Super Easy Fish Cakes
A recipe by Justin Moran….(My only food gig from my time on Masterchef).
What I’m eating today: Fuck yeah, super easy fish cakes.
Like always, please, buy the best produce you can afford.
Side note, that usually doesn’t come from your local supermarket, so buy your gear from your local independent retailer who cares about what they sell. (Same philosophy doesn’t apply to your local drug dealer!)
- 500g salmon fillets, skin off, pin-boned, from sustainable sources.
- 1 stick of lemongrass – remove the tough outer layer, or not, only if you’re tough!
- Knob of ginger – peel skin. (What type of knob you ask, I’ll leave that for you to work out)
- 1/2 chili seeds in (and no you can’t leave it out, otherwise can I suggest a martha Stewart subscription).
- 95% of a bunch of fresh coriander
- 10 fresh Thai basil leaves (Don’t use normal basil, if you can’t get it leave it out)
- Zest of 1 lime.
- Slash of sesame oil.
- Slash of soy sauce + sesame seeds
- Season well, (yes that means salt and pepper)
- Chilli jam
Put everything on your chopping board and start chopping together. We are looking for a fine consistency, with a few small pink nuggets of salmon. Divide into 4, then shape and squash into 2cm-thick patties.
Place a large non-stick frying pan on a medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil or peanut oil, whatever rocks your Tuk-tuk. Cook the patties for 2 minutes on each side, or until nicely golden. Stack on a serving plate. Spoon into the pan the chili jam add a splash of water to the pan, turn the heat off, and jiggle and wiggle to make a little sticky sauce. Pour that over your cakes. Boom!
Now you know that 5% left over of the coriander sitting on the side of your bench? Well rip up and toss over the top of your delicious cakes. Same goes for that Thai basil, that you ran all over town to buy. Serve with lime wedges.
Smash them with an ice cold can of Balter beer….because not everything needs wine.
So if you love’em can I get a Fuck Yeah that’s delicious. Super easy fish cakes.